Thursday, May 28, 2009

April Showers Bring May Flowers

Cape Cod Weather Today: Cloudy and 50 degrees, with rain showers predicted on and off throughout the day. Which is okay because I should be sitting here writing, and not gardening.

Everything is blooming.

I need to get a picture of my wisteria this year because it's incredible. The azaleas (like the one above) are bursting with color - pinks and reds scattered around our yard and neighborhood - and the rhododendrons have just begun to bloom. The blueberries and raspberries are all budding with flowers (and potential berries) and the tomato plants all have little yellow blooms on them as well (yea!) The camellias are long past, but that's okay. (They're covered in aphid mold and need to be sprayed every week which kills the blooms anyway.)

There are hundreds of birds nesting in my yard - the rhodies are quite overgrown, eight or ten feet tall on the perimeter of the back yard - and I even saw a pair of birds building a nest behind the American eagle that sits over my front door.

Mother Nature puts a lot of energy into spring, making it showy.If I tried to use that many adjectives on a page, people would laugh and call it purple prose, like the contest over at the Query Tracker blog.

All that spring rain sure had a great purpose. SO next year? When I inevitably complain again about the lousy weather? Remind me why we have all those April showers, could you?

Because nothing beats the bloom of May on Cape Cod.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?