Monday, September 21, 2009

Monday Morning Musings


I just read a post about why good writing gets rejected, by Jane Smith over at "How Publishing Really Works," and I understand that not every book is for every agent, and not every well-written book is going to find its spot on the bookstore shelf.

But how does that account for the vast number of poorly written, poorly executed fiction novels that are out there? On her last visit, my mom left two paperbacks in the guest room, for the next occupant to find. I was the one who found them first when I was cleaning. So I tried to read them. Tried being the operative word.

They were drivel. Both of them.

The first one I slogged through, hoping it would get better. It didn't. The second I gave up after ten pages, not wanting to waste any more of my precious reading time (with 3 kids, there isn't enough book time to waste even a few hours of it.)

So how did those manuscripts, with all the myriad sins I've been warned never to commit, find a home? I'm not saying my manuscripts are more worthy of publication. Perhaps my middle grade book isn't the next Hunger Games or Twilight, but I don't think its as bad as some of them that are out there now, that do find homes with publishers and slots on the bookstore shelf.

So yes, I'll agree with the eloquent Jane Smith when she explains that not every book can find a home in the publishing system. My question is how do the awful ones squeak through?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?