Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Ghost Tale for Tuesday


I'm participating in the NaNoWriMo challenge this month, and debated whether I should take the time to keep posting ghost stories and creepy tales... but I know some of you out there are enjoying these stories (and may only read my blog on Tuesdays...) so I thought I'd try to keep up.

There's a website that collects people's ghost stories - www.yourghoststories.com - which I don not recommend reading at night. Only in full daylight. Some of the stories are really creepy. Not that these people are good writers, but the journaling aspect of the tales make them even more "real" somehow.

There are a lot of stories detailing how people have had experiences with lights and appliances turning on and off. In reading the more "scientific" and "ghost hunting" websites, it seems that paranormal investigators consider this fairly normal and obvious, that the spirits are energy and able to manipulate other energy fields. Like turning on lights.

This happens to me on a fairly regular basis. I've gotten used to the lights. My ghost seems to like to turn the light in the t.v. room back on at night, I'm not sure if it's to tease me, that I have to walk all the way down the hallway and cross the whole house to turn it off again, or if he's just hanging out in what used to be his library.

Last night I was sure that I heard the fan on in the upstairs bathroom. I could hear it humming clearly from the downstairs bathroom (they are situated on top of one another) so I sent my son upstairs to turn it off. He came back down and said it wasn't on. I ran to the downstairs bathroom, and no longer heard the noise. As I was getting ready for bed, the light in the hall turned on AND then off again. That freaked me out a little.

There haven't been a lot of "incidents" in the house since last winter. I actually had assumed that the old woman who sold us the house had finally died, and she and her husband were together at last and had gone on out of this realm. But things started up again about half-way through the summer.

The worst - and by worst I mean freakiest - is when the ghost turns on the air conditioner in my husband's office. It always happens when my husband is away for the day on business, mostly when I'm alone in the house. I always check to make sure he hasn't left the air or heat on in his office when he travels (the heat is electric as well) But when the air turns on I can hear it humming from my bedroom, which is directly below. This summer, I finally unplugged the unit completely, and told my husband to only plug it in when he wanted to use it.

The ghost hasn't figured a way around that. Yet.

Do you have ghosts who like to play with your electrical appliances? Turn fans on and off, or play with your t.v. when no one is in the room? Tell us about it!

Next week, I'm hoping to have one of my kids be my guest blogger with his Halloween tale that he had to write using his spelling words. Surprisingly enough, it's a great spooky tale and I can't wait to share it. But right now, I have to go and write at least 2,700 words if I want to keep up with the NaNoWriMo challenge...wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?