Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sunday Reading...

When my friend asked me to recommend a good book for her 7th grader, it was easy to point her in Suzanne Collins direction. The mom had (amazingly) never heard of this series, but her daughter was instantly enthralled. I'm a book recommending Superstar in her daughter's mind...

Now she's asked for recommendations for her 4th grader. My daughter is now in 5th grade, and last year she devoured Meg Cabot's Allie Finkle series (and wrote about Meg Cabot as her hero.) She also loved the Gail Carson Levine books where Levine retells fairy tales (like Fairest, Ever, etc...) But my friend's daughter prefers fantasy, like my son. So I suggested Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan, which my son loved...
But my friend wants recommendations for books based on Greek or Roman myths. And she'd pefer a series to a stand-alone. I'm stumped. My boys are reading some of these books now - but they're from the adult section. (They both recently enjoyed Ruth Downey's Medicus and Terra Incognita, which aren't myths but tales set in the Roman era.)

Does anyone know of good middle grade books based on Greek/Roman myths? Her daughter is not a girly-girl, and doesn't care so much whether the protagonist is female.

Any suggestions?

Meanwhile, I know what I'm getting for mother's day - because I helped my daughter pick it out at Barnes & Noble yesterday ;-) Just out in time for the holiday - the latest by Charlaine Harris!! Can't wait to open it and start reading... looking forward to True Blood starting up again next month as well...!

Happy Mother's Day to all! Enjoy your day, whatever you do ;-)

4 comments:

  1. I just posted about The Hunger Games myself (part of my Chapter One Analysis series).

    Aren't the Percy Jackson books based on Greek mythology? Not entirely sure what age group they're aimed at though.

    regards,
    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Moody!
    I should have mentioned, the girl just finished all the Percy Jackson books (which is why she wants more mythology I think) Rick Riordan is her hero (the family is going to see him speak today - I guess he's visiting Cape Cod)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, no books to recommend about mythology. I'll ask a pal of mine who writes MG/YA and keeps up with the market.

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any recommendations, but I just wanted to say I love True Blood! I'm still working my way through the series, and can't wait for the show to return next month. :D

    Hope you had a very happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?