Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Through the Looking Glass: Have you been to see Chihuly?

A few days ago, I traveled into Boston with my mom and my oldest son to visit the Museum of Fine Arts. We went specifically to see an exhibit of works by Dale Chihuly. My mom was excited. My son had seen a video of the installation in his high school art class earlier this spring and was looking forward to it.

I had no idea what to expect.

I was blown away.



Dale Chihuly is from Washington State, and his exhibitions travel all over the U.S. According to my mother, he often shows his works at botanical gardens or in other natural settings - which makes sense as you look at the organic flow of his glass work.

The MFA flyer says Chihuly has "revolutionized the art of blown glass." The exhibit on display in Boston through August 7 represents his creative vision over the last four decades. On the Museum's website is a video of his work and the display set to music by Passion Pit - - go to http://www.mfa.org/chihuly-music/ to watch it.



I took so many more photographs and images that I can't post them all here. (and, btw, I was totally allowed to take pictures in the museum, as long as I didn't use a flash. Allowed and encouraged!)

If you're near Boston this summer, make a stop at the MFA. Admission is only $20 for nonmembers $18 for seniors and students over 18, and kids under 18 are free all summer long. If you can't make it here, remember the name of the artist - Chihuly - and look for his next exhibition near you.

4 comments:

  1. I'm from Seattle, and have seen Chihuly's work many times. It boggles the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter and I hope to see this in a few weeks. Hope it's still there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had seen Chihuly's work in Las Vegas many years ago. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of this artist, but his work looks colorful and fun.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?