Friday, February 26, 2016

Friday Feature: Chatting with paranormal romance author Karilyn Bentley



Hi, Karilyn! Tell us a bit about you, and what kind of books you like to read and write.

I write paranormal/fantasy romance and urban fantasy. I like to read the same, along with historical romance and mysteries. Here's my official bio:

Karilyn Bentley's love of reading stories and preference of sitting in front of a computer at home instead of in a cube, drove her to pen her own works, blending fantasy and romance mixed with a touch of funny.
Her paranormal romance novella, Werewolves in London, placed in the Got Wolf contest and started her writing career as an author of sexy heroes and lush fantasy worlds.

Karilyn lives in North Texas with her own hunky hero, a crazy dog nicknamed The Kraken, and a handful of colorful saltwater fish.


I love your dog's nickname! Okay, what's your favorite part of being an author? 

Being creative and meeting people who read my books. It's a great feeling when a reader likes your book.

I have to agree with you there! What's your approach to writing? Do you plot or go with the flow? 

I'm a hybrid pantser, which means I have to have a beginning, an end and the turning point (or black point of the story). Other than that, I wing it and hope I don't get lost down a rabbit trail.

If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why? 

I'd like to be able to move things with my mind. Then I could sit in here typing and still get the dusting done without sneezing.

Oh, I hate dusting too. For many reasons. Now. Tell us about your new/latest release! 


I'd love to! My latest release is Demon Kissed, the 2nd book in the Demon Huntress series. Here's the blurb and an excerpt:

Blurb:
Gin Crawford, the world's latest demon huntress, has no time to mourn her dead lover as she's called in to determine why a demon attack occurred at the local medical school. And not just any demon, but the one demon that gives her demon-killing bracelet the shivers. A dead professor, a lab full of missing anthrax, and a demon who turns good people into minions complicate her life. Can Gin and her mentor Aidan Smythe solve the mystery of the missing anthrax and the identity of the demon before someone else dies?

Excerpt:
     The scent of sulfur hangs in the air like a demonic stink bomb. I want to slap a hand over my nose, but no one else seems affected by the stench. Must be a demon huntress thing.
     Justitian,” Smythe mutters. “Not demon huntress.”
     “If you don’t like my new title, then stay out of my mind.”
     He glares. I swallow. Cross my arms. Refuse to take a step back. I’m learning not to be intimidated by his anger. Go me.
     My justitia vibrates, throwing me out of my internal battle, pulling me back to the land of death and minions. The blob of colors pulsates, a glowing reminder of a moment of terror. The moment the demon appeared to the grad student.
     Granted, I’m still taking Demons 101, but I thought demons formed minions in private.  Usually after the human committed a crime, not before. A tryout, so to speak. And maybe that happened, but it sure seems to me like the black blob of demon force appeared to the grad student smack in the middle of the hallway.
     Or maybe that always happens, and I just now noticed it.
     The justitia’s vibration grows stronger, trembling my arm, my veins. Not its normal excited tremor upon seeing a minion or demon. A rush of images spikes through my mind, scenes of terror coupled with blood and death, memories of the justitia’s former wearers captured in time by the entity in the bracelet.
     I’m not the only one freaked out by the colored blob. How bad was this demon to scare a justitia?

* * *

Great excerpt! Okay, you’re casting the movie version of your novel – who would you choose for the main characters? We’re talking dream cast.

Oh wow! Let's see. Okay, Smythe would be played by Hozier, but with shorter hair and no beard, and Gin would be played by Jessica Alba. But I'm really bad with this question because I see characters colors, not their faces. Weird, right?

Where can readers find your book and where can they find you online? 

Thank you for asking! Here are the buy links for Demon Kissed:

And here's where you can find me hiding out online:
Website:           www.karilynbentley.com
Blog:                http://plottingprincesses.blogspot.com
Pinterest:          http://www.pinterest.com/karilynbentley
Newsletter:        http://eepurl.com/ba_0Rf

Thanks for being my guest today, Karilyn! And best of luck with your new book!


13 comments:

  1. Thank you for letting me blog with you today, Katie!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! Thanks for being my guest, and best of luck with the new book!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely adored this book. Such a great read. Loved the tension between Gin and Aidan, or as I like to call them "Gindan". Congrats on your release Karilyn. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you J.C.!!! I love you name for Gin and Smythe, Gindan. Will have to borrow it. :)

      Congrats on your new release!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your new release, Karilyn. I can't wait to read it...Love the excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Casi! I hope you enjoy it!

      Happy Reading!!

      Delete
  4. Love your superpower, Karilyn! Congrats and wishing you all the best. Bumping this book up on my tbr list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary! I would love that superpower. Maybe one day. Ha! :) Hope you enjoy the book!

      Happy Reading!

      Delete
  5. I agree about the super power, how handy would that be? Best of luck with your latest release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That superpower would be extremely handy! :) Thank you for stopping by, Alicia!!!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like an engrossing read! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thumbs up to the super power. I hate cleaning! And then maybe I wouldn't even have to show up at work... Anyway, this sounds like an enchanting story and I'm looking forward to reading it. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?